I have been looking for something special to put in a nook/niche in the kitchen. I wanted an old/antique piece. I checked antique stores in my area. I looked on Craigslist. No luck. So I checked out Ebay. There are so many wonderful things to available to buy on Ebay. I spent many hours looking and put many items on my watch and wish lists! I found a lovely old oak bookcase from France and it was the right size. The same seller had a lamp that was made from an old tin tea caddy, I bought that as well. I spoke with the seller (his shop is called French and English Anitques) who is in Texas. I told him this was my first Ebay purchase and wasn't sure how it all worked. He was very nice and he explained it all. He took the items to a packer and then he had the box shipped by Greyhound. As far as I understand this is the least expensive way to ship items that can't be sent by regular mail. The local Greyhound station called us when the box arrived. We picked it up from the Greyhound station Easter night. It was very well packaged but the box was too big for my car, so we had to unpack it at the station. We cut the box open and out spilled a billion packing peanuts! It was QUITE THE SIGHT, wish I had taken a picture. But, now out of the box, the bookcase and lamp fit in the car. Before we could go home with our new treasures we had to sweep up all the peanuts. Thank God the station had a broom and a dustpan we could use. It took us a looooong time, but we got every one of those stinker peanuts. It was worth it, I love the pieces I bought! Hopefully they will be in the kitchen very soon. And I will be checking Ebay on a regular basis.
Here's my first Ebay purchases.
The blue cabinet next to the bookcase in the garage is a project I'm working on for the laundry room. More about that later.
I can almost smell the first meal cooking in the kitchen, we are that close! We now have running water. That alone has made this journey a bit easier. The faucet is beautiful!
The tile backsplash has been completed. I am so happy with how it turned out. Very simple, but the detail behind the range dresses it up a bit I think.
There has been a shelf installed on the wall next to the refridgerator. I can't wait to pretty it up. I'm thinking of maybe putting cups and saucers on the shelf and bins of teas. Maybe make that area a tea/coffee area.
And the built in bench has been installed under the window. I've ordered fabric to have a cushion made. We get the best morning sun in that window, it will be a great place to start the day.Yes, that is carboard on the floor. The painter will finish the last coat of paint later this week. I hope to get the cardboard, rosen paper, and dropcloths out this weekend. I won't be able to completely settle the kitchen though. The shelves for the glass front cabinets were ordered in the wrong size, fingers crossed they are here next week.
I had thought about what kind of countertop I would want in a new kitchen long before we began the remodel. I wanted to do something other than granite. I had seen a soapstone counter in a display of a countertop company and fell in love. I did all the research one should do. I know that it is a soft material, it can chip, but you can't stain it and chips can be oiled out. Soapstone if left in it's natural state is gray, if you want it darker, oil it with mineral oil. From what I understand the more it is oiled the darker it will get until it reaches a point of where it will be as dark as it will be and then it only has to be oil occasionally. I want mine to be dark, black really.
The veining is what I love most about this stone, the more the better. I picked out a slab that had the most veining I could find. I checked out a couple of stoneyards to make sure I got the slabs available in this area with the most veining.
After they came to the house to template for the counter I went to the showroom to see where they would lay out the template. Good thing I did! The first time they laid the template out on the slabs much of the veining was lost. Even after we moved some pieces around some of the beautiful veining was still lost. It was explained to me that they have to keep the template pieces close together, otherwise to much of the slabis wasted. So this is what it looked like with my template pieces roughly laid out on the slabs. It looks streaky because the slabs were washed down with water so I could see the veins better and then the water began to evaporate as we worked on the lay out.
Today was installation day!! I have to say I was a bit, okay, a lot nervous! There have been many hiccups with this project so I was just afraid that something else would happen. But all is well and I love it!!!
Look at the gorgeous veining!
Floors get refinished in two days! I can almost smell the first meal.