We decided to have the house demolished.
This is not an easy task! Many rules to be followed!
And to complicate matters we just found out that our town might be passing a law in a couple of months -”delay of demolition permit” – for any house the town has deemed to have potential historical significance. If this “delay of demolition” does become a law that would mean exactly what it is called – the demolition process would be delayed! This would give time for the Historical Commission to determine if there is any way that the house could be saved. Not sure how much they take into consideration the owner’s wishes or bank account! This delay could have a great impact on us. If we do not get the house down before March 1 we can not have the tax assessment changed. We are now paying taxes on a house that is assessed at $200,000 more than we purchased it for.
And it could even get worse! In our town ANYONE can nominate a house for Historical status. During the delay of demolition time period the house could be nominated and awarded the historical status and then it could never be demolished!!! Yikes-that would really put us in a bad place. We would own a house that we do not want to restore, nor have the funds to restore to the level I would want and we would be stuck with it! Also to begin the process of demolition we will be cutting off utilities, taking out parts of the house we want to keep, and donating windows, flooring, etc. So there won’t be much of ahouse left!
So all systems go. . . have begun the process to get the demolition permit, quickly!
I’m all for preservation and have always admired those who proceed with such an undertaking. But there is also a point where the life of the building has come to an end and the costly measures to save it may not justify the end result.